Minimum Temperature: 7°C (45°F)
Wind Direction: Southerly
Leyton means "Town on the River Ley" and is at the heart of the Lea Valley. The name 'Leyton' has been used since the 9th century. Leyton is situated on the Prime Meridian and is less than 1 mile east of the site of the 2012 Olympic Park. Leyton Orient Football Club is also based here.
The area is made up largely of terraced housing. Many high rise council estates that dominated the skyline have been demolished over the past 15 years.
Leyton was historically part of Essex and formed an urban district of that county from 1894. It gained the status of municipal borough in 1926. In 1965 the Municipal Borough of Leyton was abolished and its former area transferred to Greater London to be combined with that of other districts to form the London Borough of Waltham Forest.
The main route through the town is the High Road, which forms part of the ancient route to Waltham Abbey. At the top end of the High Road is a crossroads with Lea Bridge Road and Hoe Street. This junction and the surrounding district is known as Baker's Arms, named after the public house which still stands at the spot.
During World War II, Leyton suffered as a target because of its proximity to Temple Mills Yard. The yard is now reduced in size as part of it has become a retail park 'Leyton Mills', whilst the rest has been renovated to serve as a depot for high speed trains.
Community and Facility
The New Spitalfields Market relocated in 1991 from the Old Spitalfields market, is the UK's leading horticultural market specialising in exotic fruit and vegetables.
There are 2 main shopping areas in the town, located at opposite ends of the High Road. A new retail park is to be found at Leyton Mills. This has a large Asda store, a B&Q store and a selection of furniture and electrical stores. At the north end of the town, Baker's Arms has a more traditional selection of shops lining Lea Bridge Road and the High Road, including a Woolworths and a Tesco.
There are numerous pubs and a few bars situated on the High Road. The local police station is based on Francis Road, which also has two primary schools and a mini supermarket.
In 1886 a pavilion was built at Leyton Cricket Ground, becoming the headquarters of Essex County Cricket Club until 1933, however Essex continued to play at Leyton until 1977. The pavilion still stands today and is used as a sports ground by local schools,and as a boxing club.
The town is the home to two association football (soccer) clubs; Leyton Orient F.C. and Leyton F.C.. Leyton Orient F.C. play in Football League One, and their home games occur at the Matchroom Stadium, Brisbane Road. The stadium has recently been re-constructed, including improved terraces and some residential property.
Leyton F.C. are in the Isthmian League Premier Division, and play at the Leyton Stadium.
Content taken from Wikipedia